You know those pick-and-pack Amazon warehouses that are everywhere? Ever wondered how people get jobs there? We’ve got your answers in this guide.
In this article:
- What is a picker packer?
- What does a picker packer do all day? (job responsibilities)
- Skills required to get hired
- How to find a picker packer job
What is a Warehouse Picker Packer?
Wholesalers, retailers, and manufacturers often have warehouses or distribution centers where they hold inventory before shipping to consumers or trade buyers. A picker packer (sometimes also called a “pick packer,” “pick and packer,” or “warehouse packer”) is an entry-level position in those warehouses. Picker packers help fill orders and assist with inventory. That includes reviewing daily orders, preparing packages for shipment, and pulling inventory for orders.
So, if you want to find a job at a warehouse or distribution center, then you should probably start applying for picker packer jobs.
The great news is: Picker packer jobs aren’t just at Amazon — they’re everywhere. According to the job search site Zippia, “Between 2018 and 2028, the career is expected to grow 4% and produce 156,200 job opportunities across the U.S.”
If you’re in Northern California, we can help you find them. If you live elsewhere, you’ll want to start searching for “picker packer jobs near me.” Keep in mind that picker packer job descriptions use a lot of different job titles, including but not limited to “Picker/Packer – Warehouse,” “Picker/Packer – Lead,” “Warehouse Associate – Picker/Packer,” “Warehouse Selector,” and more.
What Does a Picker Packer Do?
Picker packers are responsible for selecting items in a warehouse setting and arranging them for shipment. According to Monster, picker packer job responsibilities include:
- Pulling and packing product for daily orders
- Keeping products organized and in good rotation
- Monitoring product quality and reporting any problems or safety issues
- Operating equipment including dolly loaders, pallet wrappers, forklifts, etc.
- Following safe work practices
- And other duties as assigned
You might also like these blogs:
- 7 Times You Should Take a Temp Job
- 25+ Classic Job Interview Questions and How to Answer Them
- How to Stay Safe in Your Production Job
Warehouse Picker Packer Skills and Requirements
If you’re interested in a warehouse picker packer job, you’ll need one skill most: physical strength. Second, you’ll need the ability to work fast. Here’s a great video on that:
You will have to pick up boxes and put them away, or take boxes out of storage and bring them to where they’re needed. You might be tasked to put the boxes on pallets or in vans for shipment, and weigh items as they arrive. This includes potentially operating heavy machinery, including pallet jacks. You might also have to create labels and do all the paperwork needed for shipment.
Beyond physical labor, you might have to create labels and fill out the paperwork needed for shipment to fulfill customer orders. As a picker packer, you also have to keep the work area clean and organized, so that the entire inventory needed is stored and ready for use.
Here is a quick list of all the skills we look for at Star Staffing when hiring picker packer candidates.
- Hands-on experience in operating vans/pick trucks/fork lifters to pull inventory from the warehouse or distribution center
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Physical strength. Able to lift up to 40 lbs without support and perform routine packing work
- Ability to fill out manual and computerized forms or ship documents to complete customer orders
- Highly skilled in packaging and picking a wide variety of items, as well as completing manual and computerized forms or shipping documents.
- Proven record of arranging, placing, sealing, marking and tagging of items
Personal and other skills
- High school diploma (usually)
- Great attention to detail with accuracy
- Excellent knowledge of packing procedures and standard warehouse operating procedures
- Hands-on experience in counting and storing various product items efficiently
- Experienced in reading conditions and identifying the accurate parts for fulfilling customer orders
How to Land a Picker Packer Job
If you have these skills and believe you are the right fit for a picker packer job, go ahead and apply for that picker packer position through Star Staffing! Our hiring database lists dozens of picker packer jobs each week.
If you are applying for a warehouse picker packer job, be sure to mention the above qualifications and skills in your resume to fit the job requirements and stand out as a candidate. List the above skills under the “Skills/Strengths” section of your resume, or you can use them as pointers in your interview.
If you feel that a picker packer position is not the best choice for you, check out Star Staffing for other employment opportunities, too. We know how hard a job search can be, and our goal is to make finding a new career easier for you. Reach out to us today!